Monday, May 14, 2012

Lucky - Day 3

9 a.m. update:  Lucky has started to follow us around the house.  I physically (but gently of course) pulled him into my home office last night to lay near my chair.  After that, I got ready for bed and he followed me into the bedroom and slept on the floor next to the bed.  Anthony texted me about an hour after I got to work and said he's started following him around the apartment.  Its a great breakthrough!  Obviously he's gaining confidence and some trust in us and that's an important step.

He has his first vet visit (since we've adopted him) at 10:45 a.m.

1 p.m. update:  Anthony took Lucky to the vet this morning as scheduled.  I laughed when he sent me a text and said the vet described him as "not very sophisticated."  Great... we've adopted an idiot.  The vet was impressed with how well his leg wound has healed (which he got before reaching the Humane Society), we do have to give him more meds to continue the healing, he seems to like the women at the clinic which makes me wonder if he was mistreated by guys at some point.  That would explain the slow process of getting him to warm up to us.  The vet told Anthony we should feed him any people food and to keep doing what we're doing.  He also said that his breed type described by the Humane Society was incorrect... Lucky isn't a greyhound mix, he's a brown Labrador.  And they estimated his age at about two years old... which is one year old than we were told.  At least out of all of that we've got a pretty good idea what we're dealing with and he's in good shape.

11:40 p.m. update:  IT FINALLY HAPPENED!  After waiting for 50 hours... Lucky finally peed at about 10 p.m. tonight.  He had been holding a lot because he went for a long time.  And, he went outside.  Then went again a few minutes later.  (also outside)

That wasn't the end of it though.  A second trip outside at 11:15 p.m. and he pooped when I took him for another walk.  This was after he ate about half a bowl of food when we came back from the walk where he peed.  If the first few days are any indication, I think he might be housebroken.  If this holds up it would make our lives a whole lot easier.

He's had water, peed, pooped, ate, visited the vet, and is moving around the apartment a bit.  It was a good day of progress for ol' Lucky.